Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissies.

Music has always been a big part of my life. Dad sang in the USO in WWII with Perry Como, so I grew up on his music, but found mine through a transistor radio and Murray the K.

Went to sock hops, learned the bop, had a college band, went to Woodstock, got in the ad business, did branding, wrote ads, produced and wrote jingles. Go figure.

But I learned the power, community, and joy of music. Started writing my own songs about 15 years ago (post ad agency retirement). Themes kept looping to things Boomeresque. You write what you know.

I always experience the joy and fun of sharing these common experiences at live performances. It never fails to create a unique performer/audience bond. Even the younger kids love it. Some of my most enthusiastic “fans” are indie musicians. Guess they identify with the vintage.

It’s great to see that light go on when someone sees themselves in a song. Especially the humorous and satirical. Heck, there’s enough doom and gloom music out there. As one of my titles says “What’s so Bad about Feelin’ Good?”

I do a lot of traveling on river cruises and European land tours and always bring the six-string. I’ve made great friends through the music. It’s a joy to share.  I always say (I suppose this is motivation part — the headline is always in the last sentence), “It keeps me on this side of the grass.”

I guess I’ll keep at it. Here’s one of my favorites. Good or bad … and true or not … it’s about US! Don’t forget: have your sound turned up. ALL the way up!!


No comments:

Post a Comment